• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CooperD
    Fast Forward
    First Gear
    • Dec 2008

MP62 needs a rebuild, and other issues

I've had my FFS kit on my 94 since 2010, and it appears that the blower is due for a rebuild. It's gotten quite loud over the last year or so (it really snuck on up me, and I didn't really realize it until it was getting pretty bad). I had my local shop look into replacing the seals and refreshing the oil, but they told me the oil was bone dry, and it sounded like it needed a rebuild.

So now I'm looking to send it back to Magnusen for a proper rebuild, and wanted to see what else I should consider doing while I have the blower off of the car. Are there other refreshments, or upgrades I should consider?

Since I've had the kit installed, I've always had issues with lean tip-in on the throttle if I don't keep the revs up, it sort of lurches before kicking into full power, and lately I've had issues with pinging in the summer heat (any time I get over 8 PSI in 85F+ weather). I don't know if some of that is exacerbated by the worn blower, or what.

Advice and suggestions are appreciated.

My regular maintenance shop is confident at replacing the blower, but I could also use a referral if more "tuning" work needs to be done. I'm based in Glendale (Los Angeles).
  • Tom @ Fast Forward
    Site Admin
    Overdrive
    • Mar 2006

How many miles on the kit? It sounds like all you may need is a rebuild of the front end. $350 gets a kit with a brand new front end assembly, oil, gasket goo and a coupler. It can be done without the expense and work of removing the blower. Easy to do and probably an hour of work. if not a lot of miles, it is unlikely that the bearings and/or rotors need repair. Just a thought.
    sigpic

1990 with FFS Coldside. At least 260 WHP NON-INTERCOOLED

Comment

• CooperD
      Fast Forward
      First Gear
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Tom @ Fast Forward
      How many miles on the kit? It sounds like all you may need is a rebuild of the front end. $350 gets a kit with a brand new front end assembly, oil, gasket goo and a coupler. It can be done without the expense and work of removing the blower. Easy to do and probably an hour of work. if not a lot of miles, it is unlikely that the bearings and/or rotors need repair. Just a thought.
      Maybe 20k, don't know exactly without digging through a lot of records, but I think that's in the ballpark.

I actually ordered the SC Oil Replacement Kit w/coupler from TDR, but then the shop said they thought the bearings were toast when they listened to it turning over.

The shop is just my regular maintenance place - they don't normally do custom work, and they're not really comfortable tearing open the SC. If I need to get a second opinion, or have someone do the front-end rebuild, I'll need to find another shop.

Got anyone you can refer in my area? I simply don't have time to do this myself, and would love to have someone with experience do it right.
      Last edited by CooperD; 08-04-2017, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• bogey
        Fast Forward
        Fourth Gear
        • Oct 2006

You can identify where the sound is coming from using a stethoscope (or rubber hose). If its from the front, most likely a front bearing.

I replaced the nose bearing on my FFS at about 80K miles. It dramatically quieted down the noise form the nose. Hardest part was locating the proper bearing and seal.
        96 Montego - FFS ColdSide, 97 Black & Tan, 90 White
        www.miatacare.com

Comment

• Tom @ Fast Forward
          Site Admin
          Overdrive
          • Mar 2006

I agree with Bogey. Most of all, I doubt rotors and bearings are an issue at 20k miles.
          sigpic

1990 with FFS Coldside. At least 260 WHP NON-INTERCOOLED

Comment

Working...